Thu | Jul 18, 2019

Dryson hits back

Published:Monday | September 7, 2009 | 6:07 PM

John Dyson has broken his silence over his shock axing as West Indies head coach by questioning the professionalism of the WICB’s decision makers.



Conde Riley, the outgoing Barbados board member, said last week that Dyson had been sacked for failing to sign a contract with the WICB.



However, Dyson says the regional board has extended no suitable deal to him.



Dyson says the first contract offered to him by the WICB was addressed to his Australian countryman Bennett King, who he had replaced.



He says subsequent attempts to clarify disputed clauses within the document were not resolved, prompting him to withhold his signature for the entire 19 months he was at the helm.



Dyson was fired after the West Indies’ series defeat, during which the board named a severely depleted squad in the absence of striking senior players to avoid a heavy fine by the International Cricket Council (ICC).