JPS investigates girl’s death
The Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) said it has begun an investigation into the circumstances that led to the death of a nine year old girl in Clarendon yesterday.
Daniele-Ann Powell who is a student of the Beulah All Age School in New Longville, in the parish was electrocuted during the lunch break yesterday.
It is reported that around 1 p.m. yesterday, Daniele-Ann left school to purchase lunch with a group of students.
The police said she was walking through a path called Sour Sop Turn when she became entangled in barbed wire, which was connected to high tension wires.
JPS said early investigation revealed that the insulation on the wire had broken down, causing electricity to be transferred to the fence, which became energised as a result.
JPS said the incident is very unfortunate and urged customers to have licenced electricians install all electrical connections.
The company said customers should also refrain from the illegal and dangerous practice of putting up electrical connections between buildings.