Sat | Feb 22, 2020

OCG reaping success

Published:Tuesday | April 5, 2011 | 6:29 PM

Damion Mitchell, News Editor



The Office of the Contractor-General (OCG) says it is reaping success in its efforts to root out irregularities in the Government Works Contractor Registration process.



According to the OCG, since September 2010 it has detected prima facie evidence of fraud on only two of about 109 applications by work contractors seeking to be registered.



For the 14-month period ending August 2010, roughly 52 of the 178 Works Contractor applications were ‘pulled’ from the system for fraud investigation.



In September 2010, the OCG started to conduct due diligence evaluation on all particulars of works contractor registration and re-registration application forms.



It followed the discovery that several contractors had been fabricating their registration particulars.



According to the OCG, at least three contractor entities are directly linked to individuals now before the courts on serious criminal charges.



They are among the contractors who the OCG has recommended be removed from the register of the National Contracts Commission(NCC).



If the recommendation is accepted those contractors would not be able to get Government contracts.



The OCG’s says one of the three contractors had contracts exceeding $222 million either endorsed or awarded in its favour between September 2006 and February 2010.



The second contractor got $44 million in government awards between May 2008 and December 2009.



The third earned $109 million in Government contracts between December 2007 and January 2010.



damion.mitchell@gleanerjm.com