Sun | Nov 29, 2015

I am not guilty - Walker

Published:Friday | February 3, 2012 | 12:53 PM

Former customs boss Danville Walker is rejecting claims that he obstructed an investigation by the Office of the Contractor General (OCG).

Walker, who resigned as Commissioner of Customs last year is expected to be charged today, for failure to comply in a timely manner with a request for information from the OCG.

This follows a ruling from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The matter against Danville Walker relates to the export of 97 containers of scrap metal last year, although a ban was on the trade.

In his defence, Walker said he had complied with the request for information although his submission was six days late.

According to Walker, he had requested an extension of the deadline from the OCG.

Walker said a copy of the submission was also sent to the office of the DPP.

Walker said he complied with the OCG, even though the Solicitor General had supported his view that the contractor general did not have jurisdiction in a particular matter involving the Customs Department.

If Walker is found guilty, he could be fined 5,000 or spend 12 months in prison.

In the meantime, Walker is also facing the charge of obstructing the OCG in its probe into the alleged illegal export of scrap metal.

Contractor General Greg Christie had complained that Walker’s failure to cooperate with his requests, had seriously impeded the progress of his investigation which began on November 4, 2011.

Walker said he is prepared to vigorously defend his position in court.