Gov’t responds to security changes at NSWMA
Debbie-Ann Wright, Assistant News Editor
The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre
The government is insisting that it was forced to seek a change of the security company employed by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) because of the frequency and extent of security breaches at the agency.
Responding to questions posed by the opposition spokesman on local government, Desmond McKenzie, the local government minister, Noel Arscott, said no decision had been taken to terminate the services of the current security company, Knightsman Security Services.
He said Knightsman remains the security provider for the NSWMA.
However, he said the NSWMA had sought the approval of the National Contracts Commission to procure the services of another security company.
Last month, the Contractor general, Greg Christie, had also raised concern about the proposed change.
Christie also queried whether there was a link between the new company's owner and the People's National Party.
The principals of the proposed company, EAP security services, are Mishka Myrie and Lloyd Myrie.
One of the latest security breaches occurred on December 4, when gunmen entered the premises of the NSWMA, tied up a security guard, stole computers and then set fire to the record-keeping sections of the building.