Sat | Feb 22, 2020

Update: Journalist granted bail

Published:Tuesday | April 24, 2012 | 4:00 PM

CMC – Television host Ian Alleyne pleaded not guilty to three charges under the Sexual Offences Act today, six months after he broadcast a videotape on his “Crime Watch” programme showing the rape of a minor.



Alleyne, who was released from hospital on Monday night following his arrest last Thursday, will re-appear in court on May 14 to answer the charges. He was granted TT$80,000 or US$13,330 bail.



The Caribbean Communications Network (CCN) TV6 has also been slapped with nine summonses ordering it to appear before a Port of Spain magistrate on May 14, to answer three charges under the Sexual Offences Act and six under the Telecommunications Act.



Supporters of the television host staged a noisy protest outside the court building calling for the charges to be dropped and as Alleyne emerged from appearing before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar.



Alleyne told reporters that “if you go back to the genesis of this entire incident you will realise it is just a travesty of justice."



“We are going to leave it up to the courts, but let it be known today ladies and gentlemen this will not turn me back from my fight. I will let the public know exactly what happen and how it happened,” he said.



Last December, a large contingent of police officers had executed a warrant at CCN TV6's offices in search for tapes in relation to their investigation following the broadcast in October.



Alleyne's arrest came mere days before the six-month statutory limit for charges to be laid against anyone in connection with the airing of the tape that caused much public outrage with the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) announcing that it had launched an investigation into the matter.



Deputy Commissioner of Police Mervyn Richardson said last week that Alleyne had been asked to come to the police station before the public arrest.



Alleyne is also facing a charge of resisting arrest.