Tue | Jan 21, 2020

Zacca denies delays, wasting money on LNG project

Published:Sunday | April 29, 2012 | 6:18 PM

The steering committee leading the Government’s Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) project is defending the programme and is describing as misleading and inaccurate a Sunday Gleaner article pointing to delays in the project.



The article published in today’s paper suggests that as much as half a billion could be wasted if Exmar Consortium is again selected to construct the proposed LNG Floating Storage & Regasification Terminal.



Exmar had won the initial bid for the contract two years ago, but the tender had been cancelled by the Bruce Golding administration after the Office of the Contractor General raised several concerns.



However, in a statement released this afternoon by the LNG Steering Committee chairman, Chris Zacca says the budget for the LNG project has been less than US$6 million. According to him, only US$2.1 million or J$180 million had been spent. He says only US$250,000 was spent on the re-tendering process and that there has been no delay in the implementation of the project.