Sat | Nov 28, 2015

Buju loses retrial bid, could get another five years on gun charge

Published:Tuesday | August 7, 2012 | 4:20 PM

A Florida court has denied Buju Banton’s request for a new trial following his conviction on drug charges.

Buju had filed for a new trial after losing his appeal against the 10-year prison sentence he is now serving on the drug charges.

In June, the United States Court of Appeal rejected all the claims in the Grammy-winning entertainer’s appeal and sided with prosecutors.

But the Appeals Court had said the trial judge could consider retrying the matter.

READ: I won't stop fighting for my friend, says Buju's lawyer

The Appeals Court also agreed with the jury’s decision to find the entertainer guilty on the firearm charge.

That charge had been dismissed by the trial judge James Moody after the jury delivered its verdict.