Thu | Oct 8, 2015

Scrap metal dealers await resumption decision today

Published:Friday | August 24, 2012

The Industry Ministry is expected today to inform scrap metal dealers whether it has accepted their proposal to use regional loading sites as an interim measure to facilitate immediate resumption of the trade.

On Tuesday, members of the Scrap Metal Federation met with the industry minister, Anthony Hylton and a team from the ministry to discuss their proposal.

The Ministry is proposing a central processing and loading site as a key component to the reform and regulation of the scrap metal industry.

But president of the Federation, Jonathan Aarons, has said while his group supports this move, its members need to resume work even as the Ministry finalises its plans.

The Ministry has said Hylton and his team, along with the Customs Department, the Police and the Factories Corporation of Jamaica, would review the federation’s proposals.

If the proposal is accepted Hylton is then expected to make a submission to the Cabinet.

The export of scrap metal was partially banned last year because of the widespread theft of infrastructure materials from homes and businesses.

It’s estimated that this practice has resulted in losses of more than $1 billion in the past four years.