Health authority says Rio Cobre meat not safe
The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) is advising that the chicken and other products that were retrieved from the Rio Cobre in St Catherine following Wednesday’s truck crash are not fit for human consumption.
Residents rushed to salvage the meat on Thursday afternoon as the truck was removed from the river.
Forty-five year-old Michael Nicholas and his son, 18-year-old Travis, and another man – Kemar Watt, 25 – died when the truck plunged into the Rio Cobre.
In a press release, SERHA said the meat could have been contaminated by the river and salmonella species as well as other types of bacteria.
This means that if consumed, individuals put themselves at risk of contracting food borne illness.
The health authority says the sale and use of the products for human consumption is strictly prohibited.
According to SERHA, the St Catherine Health Department, has been in dialogue with the Jamaica Broilers Group of Companies to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken to limit the health risks that the incident may cause.
Safe meats must be:
*Thawed under cool safe running water or in the refrigerator
*Prepared in a sanitary manner
*Stored safely and at the correct temperature
*Not allowed to stay at room temperature for more than two hours