Mon | Nov 30, 2015

Alleged fraudster gets $1 million bail

Published:Tuesday | October 9, 2012 | 9:07 AM

Barbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

Sixty-six year old Carwin Shirley of Bamboo, Hanover, has been granted $1 million bail in relation to a charge of fraudulent conversion.

In granting bail, Resident Magistrate Sheron Barnes ordered Shirley to report daily to the Sandy Bay police station.

He is to return to the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate’s Court on December 20.

It is being alleged that on two occasions in January last year, Shirley collected a total of $386,000 to secure the services of a lawyer for a man, who was in custody in St Ann.

Police investigations revealed that only $85,000 was paid to a lawyer.

The lawyer stopped attending court because of non-payment of the balance of the fees and a report was made to the police.

In another incident, a woman in England sent £4,900 between October and December last year for Shirley to rent and renovate a restaurant in the vicinity of the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay.

When the woman returned to Jamaica in January this year, no restaurant was available.

Attorney-at-law Martin Thomas in applying for bail said the monies Shirley received were indeed paid over but the complainant in the first case failed to pay the balance for the lawyer's fees.

Thomas said in the case involving the woman, the accusations were false.

Thomas said that the woman lived at Shirley's house for two months and Shirley made over $2 million in renovations to the restaurant.

He produced documents in court to show that Shirley had filed suit in the Supreme Court to recover the money he spent.