Sun | Apr 19, 2015

Paulwell wants probe into release of noxious fumes by Petrojam

Published:Monday | November 19, 2012

Jerome Reynolds, Gleaner Writer



Energy Minister Phillip Paulwell has ordered the Board of Directors of Petrojam Limited to undertake a probe into last week's release of noxious fumes from the refinery, the second time in five months.




Last Wednesday, a number of people in the vicinity of the Spanish Town and Hagley Park and Molynes roads in St Andrew, complained about feeling ill as a result of the fumes.



Petrojam has written to the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) indicating that during site clean-up operations, the liquid contents of a five-gallon plastic pail were released on to the ground.



The energy minister has expressed grave concern about what he says is the safety and security practices at Petrojam, noting that is the second time in six months that noxious fumes have been released from the refinery.



Paulwell says he is also concern Petrojam did not make a full report of last week’s incident to NEPA as is required.



He says this is unacceptable and wants the board of the State-own oil refinery to carry out a full investigation and take immediate action.



Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica



Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner



radio@gleanerjm.com