Wed | Aug 5, 2015

MoBay kidnapping accused proclaims innocence

Published:Friday | December 7, 2012

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer



Montego Bay woman Jenise Regisford will face another day on the witness stand today at her kidnapping trial in the St. James Circuit Court.



Jenise Regisford, who is charged with the kidnapping of a three-year-old child from the Mount Alvernia Prep School in Montego Bay, wept yesterday as she proclaimed her innocence.



Questioned by her lawyer, Martyn Thomas, Regisford said former co-accused Trevon Tomlinson told a lie, when he testified that she was in the room where the kidnapping was planned.



Thomas had earlier asked Regisford if any of the conspirators had told her why they were going to the school, where the little boy was kidnapped on May 3, 2011.



She said one of her former co-accused had said they would be picking up a youth at the school.



She told the court that Jonathan Mitchell, who is currently serving six years behind bars after pleading guilty to the lesser of child stealing, had asked her to get an application form to enrol a child there.



She said at that time, Mitchell had not indicated that this was part of a plot to facilitate the kidnapping.



Regisford also denied telling police superintendent Derrick Champagnie that Mitchell had told her of the kidnapping plans.



She also denied telling the cop that Mitchell said he needed someone to distract the school’s security guard, and that she volunteered to serve as the decoy.



Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica



Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner



radio@gleanerjm.com