Wed | Oct 28, 2020

Overseas residents need TRN for local tax transactions

Published:Monday | December 17, 2012 | 12:34 PM

Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ) says starting next year it will enforce the rule which requires persons residing or operating from overseas who do business with the tax authority in Jamaica, to have a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN).

However, this will cease as of December 31 with the new rule becoming effective on January 1, 2013.

The categories of persons to be affected by this announcement are those residing and or operating overseas and persons who are party to a transaction that is being processed in Jamaica.

People who do business with a revenue department on any matter pertaining to taxes and those liable to pay taxes, or to do anything in relation to any enactment will also be affected.

TAJ said individuals who reside overseas can apply for a TRN from the website

Persons calling from the United States who want more information may call 1-888-GO-JA-TAX or 1-888-465-2829, while others can contact the office using 1-888-TAX-HELP or 1-888-829-4357.

Like our new Facebook page

Follow us on Twitter