McKenzie not surprised by Witter's failure to submit Tivoli report
Monique Grange, Assistant News Editor
The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre
Member of Parliament for West Kingston, Desmond McKenzie says he is not surprised that the Public Defender Earl Witter has failed to submit his report into the May 2010 joint military/police operation in Tivoli Gardens.
The Public Defender has missed several deadlines, prompting calls for him to step down from that post.
McKenzie, in whose constituency Tivoli Gardens falls, said he was convinced from the onset that the investigation wouldn’t bear fruit based on the manner in which information was gathered by the Public Defender’s office.
The MP, who was appointed almost a year after the Tivoli incursion, notes that there are still many residents, who have not yet been interviewed by investigators from Witter’s office and a lot of details that have not yet been uncovered.
McKenzie says he hopes that whatever is contained in the report, if and when it is submitted, will bring closure to residents of West Kingston.
He adds that a commission of enquiry into the May 2010 operation would be a waste of time.
The West Kingston MP says a commission of enquiry would only serve to open old wounds and act as a reminder of the sorrow that residents experienced almost three years ago.
He is urging the relevant bodies to move to compensate those who suffered losses during the incursion.
He is also calling for the Public Defender to be held accountable for his failure to submit the report and for deceiving the public, in particular, the residents of Tivoli Gardens.
After meeting with Witter last month, the Parliamentary Commission has decided to provide more resources to his office to facilitate the completion of the report into the deadly operation.
More than 70 people were killed when members of the security forces went into Tivoli Gardens in search of West Kingston strongman, Christopher “Dudus’ Coke on May 24, 2010.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: