Mother in baby mix up wants five million compensation from T&T Gov't
Lawyers representing the family of a baby who had been switched at birth are seeking five million dollars in compensation from the Trinidad and Tobago government.
In a letter sent to Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan, attorney Ingrid Melville said her clients experienced emotional trauma and great shame when they took home a baby of Indian descent which was said to be theirs.
The mix-up occurred at the Mount Hope Women’s Hospital on March 10, when two women, one of African descent and the other of Indian descent, underwent Caesarean section operations.
They were later discharged from the hospital and it took five months for the mix-up to be discovered after DNA tests.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: