Gov't clarifies Portland Bight agreement signing
The Government is seeking to clarify that no construction or development work has started in the Portland Bight area.
The clarification is being made after the opposition called for answers based on information that the final Framework Agreement had been signed on Tuesday between the Government and China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) for the company to begin the works.
In a release last night information minister Sandrea Falconer said the signing is simply a re-statement of the Initial Non-Binding Framework Agreement which was signed on March 28.
She says the non-binding Framework Agreement details the terms and conditions that will form the basis for the negotiations of the Concession Agreement.
The release says the agreement was signed on Tuesday because the parties wanted to record their understanding of the general terms and conditions on which negotiations for the project will continue.
And it says it was also important to take advantage of the presence of a high level delegation from China Harbour which was in the country for the opening of the Mount Rosser bypass.
The government says the only activity that is underway is the detailed technical work to complete the feasibility studies before making a submission to the National Environment and Planning Agency and other regulatory agencies for approval.
It says once all approvals are in place only then will the project be submitted to the Cabinet for discussion.
WATCH: The Gleaner Minute