Lawyers in Mario Deane case denied access to Barnett Street police lock-up
Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
The police have denied two lawyers in the Mario Deane case access to the Barnett Street Police lock-up in St James where the construction worker was fatally beaten last week.
The two lawyers, Michael Lorne, representing Deane's family and Stacy-Ann Young, representing Mervin Orr were turned back Wednesday afternoon, even after a successful application before Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court.
Orr is one of two men charged with Deane's murder.
"I made the application and it was granted, and the investigating officer gave us an undertaking he would assist with accommodating our visit," Young told The Gleaner.
But Young said when she and Lorne went to the police station, an officer told them he got no order from the court, adding that the investigating officer had no authority to commit to accommodating them.
Although the lawyers were denied access, Opposition Leader, Andrew Holness was allowed to view the cell without a court order on Monday when he visited the second city.
In the meantime, the investigating officer stated in court today that when he arrived at the crime scene he saw a prisoner washing away blood.
It remains unclear whether the cell in which Deane was beaten is being preserved or whether inmates are still being kept in it.
The uncertainty has caused the judge to order that all documents, stationery, diaries and records relating to the accused and the victim be handed over to the clerk of courts by Thursday morning.
"This is specifically to secure the evidence," says Young.
Deane was beaten while in custody at the Barnett Street Police lock-up on August 3.
Three days later he died in hospital.
Three police personnel from the Barnett Street Police Station in St James have been interdicted and another three suspended with immediate effect in connection with the case.
WATCH: The Gleaner Minute