Fri | Aug 17, 2018

Jamaica to handover plane crash probe to America

Published:Monday | September 8, 2014 | 12:42 PM

Jovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer

KINGSTON, Jamaica:

Jamaican authorities are to handover the investigation into Friday's plane crash off the Portland coast to the United States.

The Director General of the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority, Leroy Lindsay, confirmed the developments last night.

Meanwhile, the Jamaica Defence Force yesterday called off active search for the aircraft, with at least two people on board.

The flight originated in Rochester, New York and was destined for Naples, Florida but apparently developed problems and traveled south crashing in Jamaican waters.

This means that it would become the responsibility of Jamaican authorities to lead the investigation.

However, Lindsay, says under international aviation rules, Jamaica can transfer this right to the United States’ National Transportation Safety Board.

Lindsay says allowing the Americans to lead investigation is logical given the events leading to the crash.

The local civil aviation head says talks will continue with the US authorities today before the formal probe is launched.

The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent US agency charged with investigating every civil aviation accident in the US.

The US Federal Aviation Administration said before the The Socata TBM-900 turboprop plane went down, two fighter jets were dispatched to track the aircraft after it did not land.

The pilot was reportedly seen over in his seat.

American real estate developer Larry Glazer and his wife, Jane, who were on board, are suspected to be dead. 

Meanwhile, the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) says it did the right thing yesterday when it decided to end its active search for the wreckage.

The decision of the JDF came hours after the United States Coast Guard pulled out its support saying, given the time which has elapsed, the likelihood of finding survivors was very slim.

According to JDF spokesman, Major Basil Jarrett, the military is satisfied that nothing from the wreckage can be immediately recovered.

And he says there was no breach of protocol in relation to the length of time the search lasted.

WATCH: ERICA's EDGE: The JUTC fare folly (Commentary)

Follow us on Twitter:


Follow us on Instagram:


Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner

Email us: