KSAC to prohibit street-side feeding of homeless, more hygienic settings coming
The Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) says feeding on the streets of Kingston and St Andrew will be prohibited as of September 28.
The KSAC says stakeholders from Churches and Voluntary Organizations have agreed to work out convenient places for the homeless to be fed instead of having the activity take place on the streets.
It says the five places identified so far are The Open Arms Drop-In Centre, Marie Aitkens Night Shelter, Mona Baptist, Bethel Baptist and the Salvation Army.
A release from the KSAC said the decision was made because Mayor of Kingston, Senator Councillor Angela Brown Burke was concerned about the danger, nuisance and unhygienic situations that have arisen out of the ad hoc feeding plan.
In addition, the KSAC says under the current system some persons are receiving up to five meals per day and some none.
The KSAC says stakeholders all agreed that a schedule should be prepared to accommodate the feeding of as many homeless as possible each day.
It says the organised feeding schedule will be available to all interested meal providers.
WATCH: The Gleaner Minute