Sat | Jan 19, 2019

Did witness in Mario Deane case escape? Mother speaks out

Published:Tuesday | September 23, 2014 | 12:06 PM

Karlene Brown, Assistant News Editor - Radio

KINGSTON, Jamaica:

There are reports this afternoon that Fahdean Ferguson, an alleged witness to Mario Deane’s murder last month, did not escape custody but was let out by the police.

This from Ovia Brown, Ferguson's mother, who was speaking on Nationwide this morning.

Last week, the St James police reported that 21-year-old Fahdean Ferguson escaped from the Freeport police station where he was taken for an identification parade.

That prompted reactions of concern from civil groups and the lawyers representing the family of Mario Deane.

Yesterday the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) confirmed that Ferguson had surrendered and was back in police custody.

INDECOM's Assistant Commissioner Hamish Campbell says he is aware of the allegation being leveled by Ferguson's mother.

Campbell says the circumstances which led to Ferguson’s alleged escape from police custody is currently being investigated by the Jamaica Constabulary Force.

He says the matter is being closely monitored by INDECOM.

The Assistant Commissioner says once the investigation has been completed, the force will share its findings with INDECOM.

Meanwhile, co-convenor of the group, Citizens Action for Principles and Integrity (CAPI) Dennis Meadows says Brown’s statement confirms the group’s own suspicions in relation to the alleged escape.

According to Meadows, he is very familiar with the Freeport Police Station where Ferguson is said to have escaped from.

Meadows says reports that Ferguson escaped through a window seemed implausible.

The CAPI Co-convenor says he is troubled by the new allegations, which he says speaks to attempts by the police to shield the real culprits behind Mario Deane’s death.

Meadows says CAPI will support Ferguson’s family to ensure he receives proper legal representation and to ensure his protection.

Mario Deane was brutally beaten on Independence Day, allegedly by cell mates at the St James police lock-up after he was detained for possession of a ganja spliff.

He died on August 6.

The circumstances of his death have resulted in significant local and international focus, with suggestions of possible police involvement.

The police have denied any involvement in the incident.


Follow us on Twitter:


Follow us on Instagram:


Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner

Email us: