Tue | May 30, 2017

T&T police deny involvement in murder of J'can man

Published:Saturday | September 27, 2014 | 9:50 AM

Trinidad and Tobago’s Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams has denied any police involvement in the murders of three men, including a Jamaican national.



The police have called on the coalition People’s Partnership government to consider a state of emergency in the volatile Laventille area, along the east-west corridor.



Police public relations officer, Inspector Wayne Mystar, says the Besson Police Station came under fire hours after the three men, including Sherwin Thomas of Jamaica had been shot and killed.



He says preliminary investigations have shown that those involved in the killings were not a part of law enforcement and that witnesses have been interviewed.



Police have come under intense scrutiny with a Roman Catholic priest, Father Clive Harvey expressing concern at what he termed the extra-judicial killings.



Among those killed was a man the media have described as a gang leader and the police have acknowledged he had been a prime suspect in the recent murder of a member of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com