Man killed one year after being freed of double murder in St Vincent
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Nov 1, CMC – A 48-year-old man, who was freed of a double murder charge last November, was found dead at his home here on Saturday, police have confirmed.
They said Paul Spence, who had been charged with murdering a woman and her daughter almost a decade ago, had several injuries to his body.
“The body of Paul Spence was discovered in his house with injuries about the body. The family can recall last seeing him in the evening of Thursday. Processing the scene, we observed that he has several injuries about the body and we have determined that it is a homicide and a homicide investigation has been mounted,” Detective Station Sergeant Trevor Bailey told reporters.
“The body is in a state of decomposition, so we will have to wait until we do the post mortem to determine the exact nature of the injuries,” he added.
Some residents of the Central Leeward town have suggested that Spence’s death was an act of reprisal over the double murder, but Bailey said that police have not found anything suggesting a crime of reprisal.
“That may be said on the road, but from a police point-of-view, we have nothing pointing to that,” Bailey said.
Spence was charged on January 23, 2007 with the murders of Mabel Pollin, 72, and her 49-year-old daughter, Veronica after their bodies were found in their house on December 21, 2005.
Spence was held for questioning, but was released without charges. But law enforcement authorities arrested and charged him in 2007.
The prosecution withdrew the charges last November, but offered no explanation for the decision, noting that the law does not command an explanation.
WATCH: JAMAICA NOW