Tue | Oct 24, 2017

Tivoli Enquiry: Final sitting for this year tomorrow

Published:Thursday | December 11, 2014 | 9:15 AM

The West Kingston Commission of Enquiry will tomorrow hear its final sitting for this year.



It appears the commissioners will resume in February next year.



It is the clearest indication that the enquiry will exceed the three-month period for which the hearing was scheduled.



Yesterday, the commission's lawyer, Queen's Counsel Garth McBean, informed chairman Sir David Simmons that lawyers involved in the hearings have agreed with the suggested dates for the resumption.



Sir David says the next sessions are scheduled for February 9-April 17.



He explained that resuming the sitting in February rather than January would allow for the clearing up of several administrative matters.



Sir David also said ressuming in February would allow sufficient time to allow participants in the enquiry to fully recover from the holiday festivities.



Meanwhile, Sir David has announced that several changes will be made to the conduct of the enquiry to have certain evidence presented earlier.



He says he will make a formal announcement of the way forward tomorrow.



Meanwhile, four witnesses are scheduled to testify today.



Most witnesses who have so far testified have detailed accounts of how their loved ones were allegedly killed by the security forces and how their properties were destroyed in the police/military operation of May 2010 to arrest Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.