Wed | Dec 7, 2016

CRICKET: I'm not the man to speak on team selection - WICB president

Published:Wednesday | December 24, 2014 | 9:41 AM

West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron says that the decision by the board to approve a recommendation for rookie fast bowler Jason Holder to be appointed new one-day captain was unanimous.



WICB selectors, chaired by Clive Lloyd, recommended the 23-year-old Barbados pacer as captain of the One-Day International (ODI) squad ahead of the five-match series against South Africa and just two months before the ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.



Holder takes over the reins of team from seasoned all-rounder Dwayne Bravo who has been sacked after just 19 months in charge and also dropped from the 15-man squad named to face the South Africans.



Cameron says he is the wrong person to speak on the issue as he is not involved with selecting the team.



Holder has played one Test and 21 ODI since making his international debut in February last year.



He has been widely viewed as having leadership qualities, having already served as vice-captain of the West Indies A team as well as of the Barbados Tridents in the Caribbean Premier League.



Meanwhile, the Trinidad and Tobago director on the WICB Baldath Mahabir says it is very rare the board would dispute the recommendations from the selectors.

He says the board was asked to approve the change in captaincy.



WATCH: The Gleaner Minute




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com