Mon | Dec 5, 2016

CRICKET: WI chairman of selectors disappointed with Gayle's comments

Published:Wednesday | January 14, 2015 | 11:44 AM

West Indies chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd says he is disappointed with comments made by opener Chris Gayle criticising the decision to omit Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the West Indies squad for next month's World Cup.



Gayle has suggested victimisation in the omission of the two all-rounders and has described the decision as ridiculous.



The claim of victimisation refers to the role Pollard and Bravo played on the controversial abandoned tour of India when the one-day team abruptly quit the series over a contract dispute with their players union, WICB and players union (WIPA).



Lloyd says he is very disappointed with Gayle because he is somebody he respects.



He further says Gayle might think it was victimisation but the players’ omission had nothing to do with that.



St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves, who brokered an agreement between the players, the WICB and WIPA in the wake of the abandoned tour, has also suggested victimisation.



However, both Lloyd and WICB president Dave Cameron have rejected the victimisation claims, arguing that the squad had been selected on a cricketing basis only.



THE YEAR IN A MOMENT: Vybz Kartel, Lisa Hanna, Chu Chu ...




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com