Remembering the pomp and pageantry of colonial times
There was a time when the splendour of the motherland, England, was very much part of the rich traditions of Jamaica. Today, there are only vestiges of the same, but there was a time.
Published Wednesday, September 22, 1948
Gloster Battalions Amalgamated
Governor Takes Royal Salute
At Colourful Camp Ceremony
THE CEREMONY of amalgamation of the First and Second Battalions, Gloucestershire Regiment, took place with traditional colour, at Up Park Camp, yesterday morning.
The battalion’s designation is now the First Battalion, the Gloucestershire Regiment, (28th and 61st.)
His Excellency the Governor Sir John Huggins, K.C.M.G., arrived after the Second Battalion was formed up, and took the Royal Salute. He was accompanied by Brigadier E.K. Page, D.S.O., O.B.E., M.C., Commander, Caribbean Area; Inspector Noel Crosswell, Aide-de-Camp and Major Watt. Later the Governor inspected the Colour Parties.
The parade programme was carried out by troops, Colour Parties and Escorts.
Among the spectators were Col. Welchman, General Staff Officer and Mrs. Welchman, Mr. Nelson R. Park, American Consul General and Mrs. Park. Hon R.B. Barker and Mrs. Barker, Commander Farrington, Resident Naval Officer, Mr. H.R.E. Browne, O.B.E., Deputy Colonial Secretary and Mr. C.L. Swaby an Assistant Secretary at the Secretariat.
The second Battalion (61st of Foot)paraded under the command of Lt. Col. R. J. Bewell, O.B.E., and formed three sides of a square.
Companies were under the command of Major Woorward, Major J.C. Bartlett and Capt. P.W. Weller respectively. The Band of the Glosters stood at the western flank of the parade, and was the first unit to be marched on.
2nd Battalion Forms Up
The 2nd Battalion Colour Party and Escort under the command of Major A. J. A. Arengo-Jones, M.B.E., was marched on parade and formed up in front of the eastern flank of the Battalion. Bearer of the King’s Colours was Capt. M.C. Denison. The Regimental Colours were borne by Capt. T.S.W. Reeves-Tucker.
It was at this stage that the Governor arrived and took the Royal Salute, the Union Jack being unfurled atop a pole at the northern side of the parade ground.
The First Battalion ((28th of Foot Colour Party and Escort under the Command of Major A.H. Knight, M.B.E. was marched on parade and formed up in front of the west flank of the battalion. Bearers of the Colours of the 28th were Capt. T.A. K. Dillion, King’s Colours and Capt. W.A. Wood, Regimental Colours.
His Excellency then inspected the Colour Parties accompanied by Brigadier Page, Lt. Col. R. J. Bewell, Major Watt and Inspector Crosswell.
The big moment came immediately after the inspection, when Lt. Col. Bewell gave the order: “The 61st will take over the Colours of the 28th.”
Both Colour Parties advanced to the centre of the square in a slow march and while the remainder of the Battalion remained at the salute, both sets of Colours were exchanged. The Colour Parties rejoined their Escorts and the original 61st Colour Escort became the 28th.
Lt. Col. Bewell, Commanding Officer 1st Battalion, The Gloucester-shire, 1st Regiment (28th/61st), read the Special Order of the Day as follows.
Order Of The Day
“The First Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, (28th/01st) has now been formed by amalgamation of the 1st Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, late the 28th Regiment of Foot, and the 2nd Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, late of the 61st Regiment of Foot.
“The 28th was formed in 1694 and the 61st in 1755.
“In 1881, the two regiments were linked to become respectively the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Gloucestershire Regiment but carried forward their identities and traditions and have jealously retained their continuity from the date of their original formation down to today.
“Throughout their existence, both have given long and valiant service, first to England and later to Great Britain and the British Commonwealth in all parts of the world, and during many wars.
“The newly formed in Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment 28th/61st)ensures by the amalgamation of its predecessors into itself, the continuance and history of both its famous forebears and will, in the future, carry on with pride their traditions and their glory.”
After reporting to His Excellency for permission, the Colours of the 61st were marched off parade and as soon as they left the amalgamation became officially effective, as well as the new designation.
The 28th Colour Party and Escort moved to a position in front of the northern flank of the battalion, and the Commanding Officer gave the order to troop the Colours around the Battalion.
The Troop having been completed, the Colour Party and Escort were marched off parade, led by the Drums and Fifes of the band, to the guard room, where the Colours were placed on display together with those of the late 2nd Battalion.
Finally, the companies were marched off to be dismissed.
A representative party of cadets under Major N. Wainwright and one of the Jamaica Battalion, witnessed the ceremony.
This is a production independent of The Gleaner Company (Media) Limited's newsroom. For feedback: contact the Digital Integration and Marketing Department at Newsletters@gleanerjm.com