Thu | Jun 1, 2023
Our Jamaica

Celebration turns into mourning

Published:Tuesday | March 28, 2023 | 8:05 AM

Gunmen opened fire on a group of persons at a wedding reception leaving one dead and others nursing gunshot wounds. Attendees were left speechless as they could not describe the incident or even think about what the motive could have been.

One dead, two injured in gun attack at wedding

27 Mar 2023/Hopeton Bucknor/Gleaner Writer

WHAT STARTED out as a joyous occasion for members of a Hanover family on Saturday afternoon ended in grief and mourning after gunmen invaded a wedding reception in Negril, Westmoreland, killing a woman and injuring two photographers.

The deceased woman has been identified as 28-year-old data entry clerk Rushena Senior of Kingsvale in Hanover.

The bride, who only gave her name as Marie, was still shellshocked when she spoke with The Gleaner.

She described Senior, who is her daughterin-law, as a very kind, jovial, and loving person.

“Right now, I can’t even describe what the family is going through,” she stated. Senior was the mother of Marie’s son’s child. The young man, who did not wish to say

much, told The Gleaner that he arrived in the island a few days ago to attend his mother’s wedding, with the expectation of leaving the island this Monday.

He added that he was also still in shock over the death.

The Negril police report that about 6:15 p.m., the couple and their guests were at a reception at Shields resort in Negril, Westmoreland.

Senior was among members of the bridal party taking photographs at the beach bar when men travelling on two motorcycles drove along a beach road separating the resort and a neighbouring property.

The men reportedly brandished handguns and opened fire through the fencing, hitting Senior and the two photographers.

As shots rang out, the members of the bridal party scampered for cover.

They summoned the police as the gunmen sped away from the scene.

Senior and the wounded photographers were rushed to a medical facility in Negril, where the photographers were admitted and Senior pronounced dead.

Up to Sunday evening, the police had not established a motive for the attack.

For feedback: contact the Editorial Department at