Melodies of Matrimony
If as the great Bob Marley said, "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain," can you imagine how magical it can be used to celebrate love?
The right song or medley can create priceless moments shared among loving partners, from the time they first met or kissed, to popping the question. And the ideal song to accompany a couple's first dance as husband and wife, can make your wedding memories incredibly epic!
For the Flair Magazine's Wedding Edition, we asked our lovebirds to take a stroll down matrimonial memory lane to where it all began. Here is what they had to say in explaining why the songs they choose were perfect for the day they said "I do".
1. Michael Buble's You and I was our wedding song. As the name suggests, the song is a tale of two lovebirds who are super blessed to have found each other - just like us. We chose this song because we wanted a song that told our story, represented our taste, one that was not common and would stand the test of time, just like our love - a real classic.
- A.B., female
2. Our wedding song, Freddie Jackson's All I Ever Ask, epitomises our love. The words perfectly encapsulates our relationship - past present and future.
- M.D., female
3. Our song was So In Love by UNV. We chose this song because I liked the song and I was so happy my husband obliged. The words of the song were just so fitting to our union so it felt right to share our beautiful moment by dancing to it.
- M.S., female
4. We both loved All of Me by John Legend from the very first time we heard it. It really speaks to our relationship and I played that song when I proposed to her on New Year's Eve with both our families present. We wanted to incorporate our love song into one of the happiest days of our lives, so she walked down the aisle to the violin instrumental version of the song, and we later shared our first dance as husband and wife to it.
- T.E. male
5. My husband always loved Heaven by DJ Sammy. It was playing the night we met, the first night we kissed, and he loved when I sang it to him, so what better way to celebrate our union than by having our first dance to that significant song.
- S.C. female
6. The song my husband and I danced to was John Legend's Stay With You. I chose the song- he had no part in it, because he had already requested me to sing his song, Tell Him, by Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion, which I did.
I chose Stay With You because the words spoke to many aspects of our relationship, it reaffirmed our vows and this was how we wanted to reassure each other that no matter what, where, how, when and why, we will make it together.
- S.J., female
7. Our wedding song was Endless Love by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross. The reason we chose that song was because that is what we are hoping to have - until death do us part, - endless love.
- S.D., male
8. I always wanted a reggae song to be my wedding song, and the sentiments of Unconditional Love by Jah Cure perfectly expressed our feelings. I didn't do the traditional first dance, but the song had an awesome guitar solo, so it was just perfect as my husband played it for me, as I walked up the aisle. Also, we got married on my birthday so he mixed it with the Happy Birthday song as well.
9. May Waltz by Brooke Fraser was our wedding song. Every word of the song spoke truth. My favourite lines of the song would definitely have to be: My best imagining never implied. That you?d be the dawning that ended my night. I have got the will to love you always. Through the chilliest winter, the hot summer haze. I have got the will to love you always. I have got the will to love. Honey, I know it won't always be sweet. Loving a person is not a small feat. Don't give up on me and I won't on you. Pack your bags, baby, cause I'm taking you.
- G.L., female.
10. I was doing all of the decision making for the wedding and I told my husband to choose a song for our first dance and he chose From This Moment by Shania Twain and Bryan Whyte. He said it was the perfect song - it fit the moment and expressed the notion that his life had finally begun at that moment. I agreed to the song selection because each sentence matched our relationship and how it was created.
- S.M., female
11. We danced to Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud for our first dance. We decided on that song because the lyrics speaks to our relationship and the love we share.
- F.B., female.