Delicious sides for your summer BBQ
It’s summertime again! And that means food, friends and fun in the sun! A great idea for entertaining your friends and family — without breaking the bank — is with a summer barbecue. So, fire up your grill, invite your friends over, maintain all COVID protocols, and get ready for a memorable summer in your backyard.
One clear indicator of a successful barbecue is a well-planned menu with a range of sides to tantalise your taste buds. Chef Gabbay of Select Grocers has prepared a list of tried and tested recipes to wow your guests at your next backyard soirée. Be sure to toast your event with chilled beverages ranging from juices to beers, light wines and frozen cocktails.
GRILLED GARLIC CORN
4 ears frozen corn on the cob
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons minced garlic
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup chopped whole kernel corn
1. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
2. Lay two ears of corn each on two separate pieces of aluminium foil large enough to wrap the ears completely. Place 1 teaspoon butter, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons minced garlic on top of each bundle of corn – season with salt and pepper. Tightly wrap the corn in the foil.
3. Cook on a preheated grill for 10 minutes; turn. Continue to cook for another 10 to 14 minutes.
SWEET POTATO SALAD
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
For the Dressing:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large, rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes and red onion in oil, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Distribute them evenly on a sheet in a single layer. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and spices in a small bowl or a medium liquid measuring cup. Gradually pour in oil, constantly whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss sweet potatoes with dressing, cranberries, feta, and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FETA GARLIC OLIVE OIL PASTA
Tomatoes – cherry or grape
1. Using a baking dish that’s safe for the oven, add the tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
2. Add the block of feta cheese to the centre of the baking dish, and either flip it around a couple of times to coat it with the olive oil and seasoning or add a touch more olive oil and a couple of cracks of fresh black pepper.
3. Bake it in the oven until the tomatoes burst, and the feta looks melted.
4. As soon as it comes out of the oven, add some fresh minced garlic and fresh basil leaves.
5. Mix it around immediately so that the garlic softens from the heat in the dish.
6. Add cooked pasta on top and stir everything. The feta and tomatoes will essentially create a sauce for the pasta.
SPICY CORNBREAD WITH CREAMED CORN
¼ cup corn oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (8 ounces) can cream-style corn
1 large onion, chopped
2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or 3 tablespoons pepper jelly
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or a cast-iron skillet.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Mix in corn oil and buttermilk. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese, creamed corn, onion, and jalapeños.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the centre is set and the top is golden brown.
Select Grocers is located at Upper Manor Park Plaza. Telephone (876) 377-8491- or find on Instagram @Select_Grocers.