Fire up the grill
Sure-fire recipes to add some spice to your backyard cookout
There is nothing like a good backyard grill and chill. For Independence Day or any lazy weekend in the late summer, a cookout is a sure-fire way to get the whole family’s blood pumping. With the holiday weekend ahead, Peppatree is challenging parents to make it a fun learning experience for children. They will thank you for it when they get older and confident enough to whip up lunch over an open flame.
On the grill is an easy, casual menu of roasted orange jerk chicken, barbecue chicken skewers, chicken coco bread sliders, with the side fixings of a sweet salad. Don’t be afraid to add your own twist to each.
PEPPATREE ROASTED ORANGE JERK CHICKEN
4 tablespoons Peppatree Firey Jerk Spice
1/3 cup Ol’ Time Jerk seasoning
1 whole chicken
1 whole orange
1. Cut the chicken down the breast bone to butterfly.
2. Score the chicken all over.
3. Sprinkle evenly 4 tablespoons Peppatree Firey Jerk seasoning all over, making sure to massage the seasoning into the scores.
4. Let chicken marinate for 10 minutes.
5. Rub 1/3 cup Peppatree Ol’ Time Jerk seasoning all over, making sure to massage the seasoning into the scores.
6. Place chicken over a hot grill (or place chicken in the oven at 350 degrees to bake).
7. Slice orange in half and place over the hot grill.
8. Keep turning the chicken over as needed until the charring begins.
9. Squeeze the now-roasted orange over the chicken on both sides.
10. Remove chicken when done, making sure a nice char all over has been achieved.
PEPPATREE BBQ CHICKEN SKEWERS
3 tablespoons Peppatree All Tings Spice
1/2 cup Peppatree Smokey BBQ sauce for basting
4 chicken breasts
1. Slice each of the chicken breasts horizontally into two even pieces making them thinner.
2. Sprinkle and coat chicken evenly with 4 tablespoons Peppatree All Tings Spice.
3. Skewer the chicken (or place chicken directly into a pan to fry or oven to bake).
4. Place skewered chicken onto hot grill.
5. Turn as necessary whilst cooking.
6. Halfway through cooking, baste chicken skewers with Peppatree Smokey BBQ sauce.
7. Remove cooked chicken once char is achieved on both sides.
PEPPATREE BBQ CHICKEN COCO BREAD SLIDERS
Peppatree BBQ Chicken Skewers meat
Peppatree Apple n’ Tings Salad
Peppatree Spicy Ketchup
Peppatree Green Peppa sauce
Mini coco breads
2 medium brown onions (roasted)
1/2 green sweet pepper
Pak choi leaves
Pepper Jack cheese slices
Peppatree Green Peppa Mayo
1. Combine Peppatree Green Peppa sauce with the mayonnaise at a 1 to 4 ratio.
2. Mix ingredients thoroughly till blended evenly.
Peppatree Sliders Directions
1. Cut in half and toast the mini coco breads.
2. Place a slice of Pepper Jack cheese as the first layer atop the bread.
3. Chop up Peppatree BBQ Chicken Skewers meat and place atop cheese.
4. Next, add a good dollop of Peppatree Green Peppa Mayo.
5. Next, add green sweet pepper, then roasted onion slices, fresh Pak choi leaf, and a spoon of Peppatree Apple n’ Tings Salad.
6. Top the other side of bread with Peppatree Spicy Ketchup and place atop a stacked slider.
PEPPATREE APPLE N’ TINGS SALAD
3 tablespoon Peppatree All Tings Spice
4 stalks of scallion
6 plummy tomatoes
1 green apple
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 lemon / 1 large lime (grilled or fresh)
Small bunch of fresh fennel
Small bunch of fresh parsley
Small bunch of fresh oregano
1. Chop scallion, plummy tomatoes and place in a large bowl.
2. Peel skin from apple and cucumber, chop finely into small pieces, add to bowl.
3. Add Peppatree All Tings seasoning, olive oil, sesame oil, and white vinegar into a bowl.
4. Chop fennel, parsley, and oregano finely, add to bowl.
5. Toss all together until evenly combined.