Dermal needling: perfect for scar removal
We continue our look at treatment options for some common skin concerns that many individuals experience. We will take a look at dermal needling or collagen induction therapy. Here are a few facts about this procedure:
1. It has been scientifically proven to treat scars, for example, acne scars, burn scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, dark spots, large pores, cellulite, hair loss and more.
2. The dermaroller is a drum-shaped instrument studded with very fine micro-needles. There are also electronic versions of this device.
3. It stimulates your skin to produce its own collagen and elastin from within, while leaving the skin intact. It also increases the penetration (200 times more) and action of topical creams.
4. It is a safe, comfortable, non-abrasive procedure that can be used on any skin colour.
5. A numbing cream is used prior to dermal needling and there is usually little or no downtime needed after the procedure. There may be some redness and puffiness, which is temporary.
6. For best results, at home dermarollers may also be used with prescribed creams between treatments.
7. The additional benefit with this novel treatment is that most people only require an average of three to six medical treatments, about six weeks apart, to get great results.
8. This treatment may be combined with other treatments, like Platelet Rich Plasma treatments, for enhanced results.
9. A consultation is very important prior to the start of the treatment course, to identify suitability to treatment and to discuss expectations.
10. For those persons concerned about the skin conditions mentioned above, it is helpful to know that there are safe options for treatment of all skin types.
Until next time, continue to love and take good care of the skin you're in.
• Dr Arusha Campbell-Chambers is a dermatologist and founder of Dermatology Solutions Skin Clinics & Medi-Spas. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.