Sun | Dec 3, 2023

Another delay in sentencing of musician

Published:Friday | March 27, 2015 | 12:00 AMChristopher Thomas

Kevin Tapper, one of the six musicians arrested and charged in connection with a cocaine bust at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay, had his sentencing postponed when he appeared in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.

Tapper, who had previously pleaded guilty to possession of, dealing in, and attempting to export three and a quarter pounds of cocaine, was instructed by presiding magistrate Natalie Hart-Hines to return to court on April 24 as his attorney was not present for the sentencing hearing.

When the matter came before the court, attorney-at-law Martyn Thomas, who

was holding for Tapper's lawyer, Peter Champagnie, told Hart-Hines that Cham-pagnie was engaged in a case in another court.

"I understand that Mr Champagnie is trying to settle a matter in the Home Circuit Court. He is asking for the last Friday in April," said Thomas.


Guilty plea


"Sentencing is postponed until April 24," said Hart-Hines as she extended Tapper's bail to the next court date.

Jobson and Rowe, who had pleaded guilty in relation to five pounds and two pounds of cocaine, respectively, had their sentences handed down on Monday, March 23.

Earlier this month, Garth Jobson and Ramone Rowe, two other members of the contingent of six musicians, were sentence to prison time and given fines.

Jobson was sentenced to 14 months' imprisonment and ordered to pay J$300,000 in fines, while Rowe was sentenced to nine months in prison and fined J$250,000.

The other three musicians - Claudette Miller-Robinson, Kharell Wisdom and Simone Bacchas - all have the cases against them pending. Miller-Robinson and Bacchas are charged in relation to one pound and one and a half pounds of cocaine, respectively; while the case against Wisdom is yet to be determined. All three made their last appearance in court on Wednesday, March 25, and are to return to court on Monday, March 30.

All six were arrested on December 18, 2014, after reportedly being found with varying quantities of cocaine as they were preparing to depart for the United States from the Sangster International Airport.