PNP closes door on Andrew Holness' house
The People's National Party (PNP) says it has put the matter of Andrew Holness' house to rest following the supply of answers about the source of funding for its construction.
"I am dropping that discussion about Mr Holness' house. It was never about the house," PNP General Secretary Paul Burke said yesterday.
"It was never a bad card. There were integrity issues around the financing of it, and Mr Holness could have answered, even though I don't think the answers are satisfactory. In my view, he could have answered that one week ago," Burke said.
PNP Campaign Director Dr Peter Phillips has been using various campaign platforms to push Holness to declare the source of funds for the house that he and his wife, Juliet, are constructing in Beverly Hills, St Andrew.
Holness on Monday released details of how the house is being financed and asked that Phillips, too, disclose how he is able to afford the house in which he now lives.
Yesterday, Phillips, when asked to respond to the view that a smear campaign was waged against Holness and that it could cost the PNP the election, said that that was "nonsense".
Phillips said, too, that he could account for the house he lived in and that he did not have a house that had been taken over by the Financial Sector Adjustment Company (FINSAC).
"I have no FINSAC property. I own one house - the one I live in. I have no other interest in any other house or any other property," Phillips said.
"I paid $1.5 million, bought it in 1991, bought it on the open market. I secured a mortgage from VMBS for $600,000 or thereabouts. I paid on the basis of savings from my wife and myself, and my savings included amounts inherited from my father, who had died," Phillips said.