Tue | Oct 4, 2022

Ex-cop murder trial | Teen died almost instantly after second shot

Published:Friday | July 14, 2017 | 12:00 AMLivern Barrett

The teenage boy who was shot several times during a police-military operation in Whitfield Town, St Andrew, in 2007 was killed "almost instantaneously" by the second bullet, a forensic pathologist has testified.

Dr S.N. Prasad Kadiyala said that based on the findings of a post-mortem examination he conducted, 18-year-old Ravin Thompson was shot three times but was still alive after the first injury.

To support this assertion, Prasad Kadiyala revealed that there was approximately 1.5 litres of blood in Thompson's chest cavity. "It would take 15 to 20 minutes for that amount of blood to accumulate in the chest cavity," he explained.




The evidence came yesterday in the murder trial of former police constable Mark Russell in the Home Circuit Court in downtown Kingston.

Prosecutors have alleged that Russell placed a police-issued M16 rifle in Thompson's hands before he was shot several times by another former police constable, identified as Morris Lee, along Darling Street in downtown Kingston.

A Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) soldier, who was part of the operation, has testified that the Darling Street shooting happened after he fired eleven bullets at a man who pulled an illegal firearm from his waistband as he approached him along Alexander Road, also in Whitfield Town.




The JDF corporal acknowledged that the teen was standing at an "arm's length" away from the gunman at the time he fired his weapon and was found minutes later with a gunshot wound to the chest.

While acknowledging that the cause of death was the cumulative effect of the three gunshot wounds, Prasad Kadiyala insisted that the accumulation of blood in the teen's chest cavity was "prior to the second gunshot wound ... because death was almost instantaneously after the second gunshot wound", he said during cross-examination by Russell's attorney, Michael Jordan.

According to the post-mortem, the second gunshot wound entered through Thompson's chin and exited through the right lower region of his head.

The trial is scheduled to continue on Monday.