Mon | Mar 30, 2020

Murdered woman was a gangster, Franklyn Town residents say

Published:Wednesday | September 27, 2017 | 12:00 AMJason Cross

Residents of Franklyn Town in St Andrew are adamant that a woman who was killed by gunmen early Sunday morning was no saint.

"Yuh have two man weh dead a Rae Town weh day, and dem seh a she lick dem dung. Dat's why yuh seet suh serious, because dem did a go hard fi kill har. All police clothes di man dem inna. Rumour have it seh har friend invite her down dere, and remember seh she a badman, suh she nuh fraid fi go nuh weh," one Maiden Street resident told The Gleaner on Monday.

Twenty-nine-year-old Nikeita McLean of Cambridge Street, Kingston 16, was shot and killed, while another woman she was reported to have been hanging out with at a bar was shot and injured.

According to a police report, around 4:10 a.m. Sunday, McLean and a friend were at a bar on Maiden Street, Kingston 16, when gunmen entered and opened fire. Both were hit, and McLean was pronounced dead at hospital.

The other woman was admitted in stable condition.




When The Gleaner spoke to Deputy Superintendent Robert Walker, commanding officer for the Kingston Eastern police, he confirmed that McLean had been arrested in the past on gun-related charges.

Hours following her killing, 23-year-old Karon Hendricks of Swan Lane, Kingston 16, was shot and killed by unknown assailants in what lawmen alleged was a reprisal attack.

"About 10:29 a.m., information received is that men from the Top Road gang were on their way to Maiden Street to reprise the murder from earlier. There was confrontation between that gang and men from Banana Street in Dunkirk, during which one man was shot and later died," Walker said.

Police personnel responding to the shooting incident at Banana Street came under heavy gunfire from retreating gunmen upon reaching the intersection of Sussex and Albert streets. As the men ran, they encountered a team from Mobile Reserve at the intersection of Elletson and Cumberland roads. They engaged the police in a shootout, leaving the left rear-view mirror of the service vehicle damaged. However, no one was injured.

A police search conducted at 2 Cambridge Street yielded one HS2000 9mm pistol with one magazine containing 14 rounds of ammunition.