Sat | Dec 2, 2023

Mother killed by cop in act of revenge - Daughter says her mom died because grandson refused constable's homosexual advances

Published:Monday | December 10, 2018 | 12:00 AMCarl Gilchrist/ Gleaner Writer
Cicilly Bradbury, Dawnette Maxwell’s daughter, at her home in Galina, St Mary, yesterday, holding a photo of her mother.
Dawnette Maxwell

News has emerged that 25-year-old District Constable Toyan Ormsby reportedly shot 62-year-old Dawnette Maxwell to death before turning the gun on himself as a mark of revenge, after one of Maxwell's grandsons had refused the lawman's homosexual advances.

The police reported that Ormsby shot and killed Maxwell of Galina, St Mary, and then turned the gun on himself on Sunday.

Loud explosions were heard on the compound of the Islington Police Station in St Mary at about 1:40 p.m. on Sunday. Checks later revealed the bodies of the two on the ground. They were rushed to hospital where they were pronounced dead.

Yesterday, Maxwell's daughter, Cicilly Bradbury, one of the deceased's three children, told The Gleaner that contrary to reports on social media, her mother and Ormsby were not involved in a relationship, and in fact, her mother didn't even know him.




"It's all over the Internet and a lot of things are being said. He is not her lover, it wasn't an argument she and him in, or anything," said Bradbury.

"She don't know him. Him know her because of one of my sons, but she don't know him. If she did know the situation and what was taking place, probably she would know how to address it. So she opened up to him, going to him easily, and him shoot har and kill har, and then kill himself."

In a stunning revelation, Bradbury alleged that her mother was killed as an act of revenge because one of her son had repeatedly turned down homosexual advances from the constable.

She admitted that her son had gotten gifts from him but had repeatedly turned down his advances.

"On the Internet, he put up something saying him and my son was in a relationship. My son say the guy like him, the guy gave him a laptop and the guy gave him a phone. My son say him nuh really in da lifestyle deh, which the guy wah get him that way. My son have him girlfriend."

Bradbury said the rumours and criticisms have made the pain of losing her mother even greater.

"Words can't explain how I feel," she said. "I wasn't looking for this at this moment because we know say she nuh inna no war with nobody. Probably if she did sick and pass away, probably we could understand, but fi know say somebody tek har life over something she not even have a clue about. She not even know the guy, she nuh know what it was about."

The grieving daughter said her mother had brought lunch for a young man in the lock-up, which she had done several times before, as he was the son a friend of hers who is abroad. Maxwell was even supposed to leave the island in a few days.

"Mi a try support mi son mek him know say, regardless of what the whole heap of critics dem a go say, we can't tek a next loss. If we shun him and tun we back pon him, we neva can tell wha might happen," Bradbury said.


Maxwell was loved and respected


The death of 62-year-old Dawnette Maxwell has rocked the closely knit community of Galina in St Mary, where she was loved and respected.

For over a decade, she held a Christmas treat for the kids of the district and also provided cooked meals for the shut-ins in the community.

It was a cousin of her daughter, Cicilly Bradbury, who drove her mother to the Islington Police Station in St Mary on Sunday afternoon. She had brought lunch for the son of a friend who was in lock-up.

While there, Maxwell was approached by District Constable Toyan Ormbsy, who said he wanted to speak to her. She went back to the car to get her phone to store his number, as she was in a hurry to return to Galina to catch the eight-a-side football match at the primary school grounds.

"While she went to get the number, my cousin was reversing the car. She hear the explosion, when she look, she see mi mother lean to one side, then drop pon har face. Then she hear a next explosion, when the guy shoot himself," Bradbury told The Gleaner yesterday.

Maxwell and Ormbsy were found on the ground suffering from gunshot wounds. They were rushed to hospital where they were pronounced dead.

Yesterday, when The Gleaner visited the home where Maxwell lived, relatives were overcome with grief.