10 things about first woman army chief
1. Married to Jonathan Wemyss-Gorman for more than 20 years.
2. She is 48, has a son, James, and is an avid gardener.
3. Studied at Britannia Royal Naval College in the UK and US Naval War College.
4. Master’s degree with distinction in national security and strategic studies from The University of the West Indies.
5. First female officer to attain a flag rank (any officer who denotes presence in command at sea by flying a flag).
6. Hired as customer service representative at Cable & Wireless Jamaica in 1990 then joined the JDF in 1992 at 19.
7. Went to Knox Prep School and Knox College; grew up with her grandparents in Top Alston, Clarendon.
8. Spent approximately 15 years on board various classes of ships in the JDF Coast Guard.
9. Has been awarded the Order of Distinction (Officer Class) for her distinguished military service, the Medal of Honour For Meritorious Service, the Military Commendation Medal and the Medal of Honour For General Service for operations in the local theatre. Also received award for distinguished leadership by the United Nations Women Leadership Initiative in 2015. Promoted to her current rank of Force Executive Officer in December 2019.
10. Provides charitable service to girls through the United Nations Women Leadership Initiative.