Sun | Dec 4, 2022

News Briefs

Published:Friday | September 30, 2022 | 12:11 AM

Cop on assault charge faces February trial

A February 6-7 trial date has been set for a police constable who has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm contrary to common law.

Rajeeck O'Connor was placed before the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court, by way of summons, after an investigation by the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) and a ruling by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP).

In a press statement Thursday, INDECOM said that O'Connor was charged in relation to the assault of a man which occurred in Denham Town on February 21, 2020.

It was reported that the constable intervened in a verbal altercation between the complainant and his neighbour, which resulted in the complainant sustaining abrasions and bruises.

Delano Franklyn ill, needs blood donations

Colleagues of former state minister Delano Franklyn are appealing for the public's assistance with blood donations.

Franklyn, a former People's National Party senator, has been hospitalised since early September.

The 62-year-old is in critical condition at the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI), a close contact with knowledge of his illness told The Gleaner.

He was diagnosed with a rare disease a few years ago.

Persons wishing to assist are being asked to donate blood under his name at the Blood Bank of Jamaica or at the hospital's unit.

The receipt should be submitted to the head nurse at Annex UHWI.

RGD resumes printing of birth certificates

The Registrar General's Department (RGD) has resumed the printing of free birth certificates, following the replenishment of its security-paper stock.

A week ago, the agency had to suspend the printing of the first free birth certificate and limited the maximum number of copies for which persons could apply and pay because of supply-chain challenges sparked by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Seven held in ganja bust remanded

Seven persons charged in connection with a $100-million ganja bust in Clarendon last week were remanded when they appeared before the Clarendon Parish Court Thursday.

The six men and one woman were taken into custody after the police intercepted a convoy of three motor vehicles in Clarendon Park on September 21.

The charges were laid on Monday after the seven were interviewed in the presence of their attorneys.

Courtney Rowe, the attorney representing four of the defendants, sought bail but Justice M. Roper said the application was premature.

Justice Roper said the Crown needed more time for verification, including of addresses.

A total of 21 knitted bags of compressed marijuana, weighing 1,213lb, were found in a vehicle.

The accused are to reappear in court on October 10.