Mon | Sep 20, 2021

Give residents say in party permits

Published:Thursday | July 16, 2015 | 2:09 PM


I wish to give support to Dr Garth Rattray in his recent article, 'Bye-bye boom', which was published in The Gleaner on June 22, 2015.

Whether in our cars, homes or on public transportation, we play music at very unhealthy and uncomfortable decibels. Dances/

parties are kept in both the so-called inner city, as well as uptown, without due regard and appreciation for the residents and the Noise Abatement Act, which is frequently violated by civilians and selectively enforced by the police.

It would seem that both the police and the citizens tend to focus more on the 2 a.m. cut-off than on key preconditions for the staging of these events. One of these preconditions reside in Section 5 of the act, which states a person who intends to provide music for a dance/party must make a written application to

the superintendent of police. However, from my unscientific research, it would seem that very few business owners even bother to make any such application.

There is, for example, a place in Waterhouse where dances are kept up to three days per week and the music is at its loudest between

2 a.m. and 6 a.m. Music is heard not only by the residents of Waterhouse, but those in communities as far as Glendale, Arlene Gardens, and Hughenden.

It is inner-city residents

who are most affected and vulnerable.

Much of this attitude towards noise pollution emanates from individuals who believe it is their right or freedom to make noise. They claim they should be free to use their property and power as they see fit.

The Noise Abatement Act could have greater relevance and meaning if permission to hold a dance/party is granted by the residents or the citizens' associations in conjunction with the police, not the police by themselves.