Plant more hemp trees
T HE EDITOR, Madam:
I read with interest the article of October 7, ‘Noranda Bauxite plants 2020 trees on National Tree Planting Day’, as well as your very good editorial of October 10.
Has anyone given any consideration to planting hemp? Some of the benefits are:
1. Growth time: four months.
2. Hemp can grow just about anywhere, needs little water, therefore, is drought-resistant, does not need herbicides or pesticides.
3. Every ton of hemp removes 1.63 tons of carbon dioxide (the current villain in climate change) from the atmosphere. That’s four times as much as trees.
4. One acre of hemp can produce the equivalent amount of paper as four acres of trees, therefore, it helps against deforestation.
5. Hemp produces a versatile textile for clothing and rope and can be used as a great biodegradable alternative to plastic.
6. Hemp is a good source of plant-based protein and can be used in the production of pet food and bedding.
The list of benefits goes on. What are we waiting for?