Mon | May 16, 2022

Ask the doc: My daughter's flatmate is considering suicide

Published:Monday | September 7, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q. My daughter who is at college overseas called me to let me know her flatmate was considering suicide. What should she do?

A. Your daughter should immediately report this to one of the counsellors or psychologists on campus. Tell her to stay with her friend and encourage her in positive ways until a mental-health services professional arrives.


My son is obssessed with cars

Q. At 10, my son is obsessed with cars. He walks, talks, eats and sleeps cars. Is this normal? His schoolwork is average.

A. Allow your son time for his passion, but set a timetable for him to complete his homework. Schedule time for academic review of work done at school. Do not accept mediocrity from him.


She eats non-stop!

Q. My daughter is a foodie. She eats non-stop. She has a high metabolic rate, so she stays thin. Even when I tell her about high-cholesterol issues, she ignores me. How much more can I help?

A. You may want to have her speak with a medical-health professional and a dietician about her health and how she can eat in a healthy way.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!