Sun | Oct 17, 2021

Ask the doc: Help! My father is depressed

Published:Friday | October 30, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q. My father has been diagnosed with depression. My stepmother, who is 10 years younger than he, is not coping well. How can I get her some help?

A. You can ask your stepmother if she would like to speak with a psychologist or counsellor about this concern. If she agrees to do so, ask your pastor or guidance counsellor if they can provide you with the contact information of any mental health service providers who would be able to provide counselling for them.


Q. How do I get my grandfather to stop visiting my school and annoying the teachers? He thinks that I am very smart and should be appointed to a leadership position. I told him that my school votes for the positions. He is a problem. What do I do?

A. Let your grandfather know that he is embarrassing you and that you are not comfortable with his visits. Ask the guidance counsellor to speak with him if he returns to the school.


Q. I am interested in going abroad to work when I finish teachers' college. Do you think it would be wise to take my five-year-old twins with me immediately?

A. As much as possible, always have your children by your side. It is very important for you to bond with your children as this will strengthen your relationship with them.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!