Mon | Sep 26, 2022

Ask the Doc: My husband doesn't want to go to PTA

Published:Monday | November 16, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q My husband refuses to attend PTA meetings. My daughter is upset as the teachers encourage the children to ask their parents to attend and she can never share that her daddy will be attending. How can we get him to go?

A Ask your husband to tell his daughter why he does not attend the meetings. I hope he starts attending and supports the school's programme.

Q My mother is the ultimate mom. One thing, though, she bullies dad. How can we get her to stop? I am 15 years old.

A Let your mother know that you are concerned about her behaviour towards your father. Encourage them to seek marriage and family counselling.

Q Our apartment complex has decided to have a family night because it is Parent Month. They want to invite a counsellor to speak to us. I think that because we have a small complex of 20 houses, things might get sticky. How can I get them to change their plan?

A A trained counsellor may speak to general issues and will know how to manage the question-and-answer session if things start to get too personal.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. E-mail questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!