Sat | Nov 27, 2021

Ask the doc: I am worried about my son

Published:Monday | November 23, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: My son, who is 18, has decided to join the army overseas. I am very worried for him in light of recent happenings. How can I change his mind?

A: If your son is an adult, he will have to make his own career choices. You can ask him if he would want to speak with a career counsellor to ensure that he is making the right decision.

Q: Why is it that parents do not spend more time with their children and give teachers less stress?

A: Due to the nature of the average work schedule, most parents are away from their children from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. What is important is that parents ensure that evenings, nights and weekends are spent with the family participating in activities where they play, study and pray together.

Q: My children want to partner with the neighbour's children to start a candy-sales business. Do you think this is wise?

A: This may be a great idea. You can have a lawyer come in and have them sign the requisite documents, with all parents attending and participating in this meeting.

n Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!