Fri | Sep 17, 2021

How to replace a lost passport overseas

Published:Tuesday | November 24, 2015 | 12:00 AM

I am a Jamaican citizen living in the United States. My passport has expired and is lost; how do I apply for a new passport?


A: To replace a lost or stolen passport, you must first report the matter to the police and the closet overseas mission in your jurisdiction. They may conduct an investigation and provide you with a report to take to the nearest Jamaican Embassy/consulate office in the United States (US). Some police stations in the US may opt to provide you with a crime reference number.

Whatever the case, you would then go to the Jamaican Embassy, high commission or consulate office to commence the process of applying for a passport. Note, however, that a waiting period of three months (after making the report) is required before any application to replace a passport is accepted. This is to allow for the necessary investigations. Please note that once your passport is reported lost, it is barred from use. If recovered, you must immediately advise the mission where you initially made the report. If after the period of investigation you are still unable to locate your passport, then you would be allowed to submit your application for a replacement of the document. In doing so you must provide:

- Two passport-sized colour pictures, one of which must be certified;

- A certified application form;

- Your birth certificate or certificate of Jamaican citizenship;

- A valid identification card;

- The police report/crime reference number;

 Replacement fee (US$160).

Upon receiving your application, the Jamaican mission will remit same to Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency's head office in Kingston. Note that overseas applications for passports are processed within 20 working days of receipt. You would collect your passport at the mission where the application was made.

For additional information, visit the website of the Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency at For enquiries email: