Wed | Jun 23, 2021

Immigration Corner: I need to replace my permit

Published:Monday | July 20, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I need to replace my British Resident Permit. What is the correct procedure?

- PD


Dear PD,

There are a few scenarios that could cause you to need to replace a British Resident Permit (BRP), and you have not been specific with respect to your need to replace your BRP.

I have opted to describe a few of the common reasons and the procedures to deal with them.

If a person is outside of the United Kingdom (UK), he or she will not be able to apply for a replacement BRP until he or she is back in the UK. Instead, that person must apply for a 'replacement BRP visa', which can be used once to re-enter the UK. A replacement BRP visa costs £72. A person must apply online for a replacement BRP visa in most countries and he or she must apply for a replacement BRP within one month of his or her return to the UK.

Another scenario might arise if a person had applied from inside the UK and the BRP did not arrive. In such circumstances, if a person has not received his or her BRP within 10 working days of the date on the decision letter, he or she should email and include the following in the email: the applicant's full name, date of birth and nationality; his or her passport number; his or her case reference number; a contact telephone number; his or her delivery address. If a person applied from outside of the UK and went to collect the BRP but it was not there, then that person will need to email with the previously mentioned information and he or she should also include the post office that he or she attempted to collect it from.

If a person needs to report a lost, stolen or damaged BRP, that person should email immediately. The report must include his or her full name, date of birth and nationality; contact details; his or her passport number; his or her BRP reference number; his or her police case reference number; and when, where and how the loss or theft occurred. Please be aware that he or she must contact the police to report the loss or theft and get a police case reference number.

If a person's BRP is damaged, that person should report the damaged BRP to and include the following in the email: full name, date of birth and nationality; contact details; passport number; BRP reference number and what damage there is. Please note that this information may also be sent by post to:


Returns Unit

PO Box 163


BS20 1AB

Please note that a person must apply to replace his or her BRP once it has been reported lost, damaged or stolen.

If a person is in the UK, he or she must apply for a replacement BRP within three months if it was lost, stolen or damaged while in the UK; or within one month if that person is returning to the UK on a 'replacement BRP visa'.

A replacement BRP costs £45, and persons should be aware that they could be fined up to £1,000 and have the permission to stay removed if an application for a replacement is not made in time.

When making an application, a person should go online and read the guidelines on applying for a replacement BRP and apply using form BRP(RC). On completion, a person can either post it with the fee, the address on the form, or apply in person at a premium service centre. However, a person may only apply in this manner if he or she has leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain.

It should be noted that a person may also have to apply for a replacement BRP if his or her personal details have changed.

I hope this helps.

• John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (U.K.).