Sat | Dec 3, 2022

Immigration Corner: Ready and able to work in Canada

Published:Monday | September 28, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

Are there any opportunities for someone in construction? I went to trade school and I'm very talented. I just didn't have the money for college or university. I'm good at plumbing, drywall finishing, carpentry. Anything in building construction, I'm good at. I don't want to live in Ontario but I know Canada is very big. I have a six-year-old daughter and want to help her and her mother, too. How can we get to Canada?

- PP


Dear PP,

There are many opportunities for tradesmen in Canada. In fact, the province of Saskatchewan just announced that they will be accepting 1,000 new applications under the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Programme (SINP). This programme is one of the most generous programmes to date, so if you are interested you should apply immediately.



There are 57 eligible occupations. Included in this are skilled workers and tradesmen such as: carpenters, drywall installers, plasterers, brick layers, contractors, painters, insulators, supervisors, construction managers, construction finishers, concrete finishers, plumbers, welders, mechanics, repairers and other construction trades.

I don't know what your child's mother does but other occupations on the list are supervisors in food and beverage, decorators, business-development officers, university professors and lecturers, software engineers, telecommunications workers and computer programmers. A complete list of the opportunities are on the province's website.



Not all occupations will need formal certification. However, you must have a minimum of one year's work experience. The key is to get a minimum of 60 points based on experience, age, language ability, adaptability education and training.

Individuals between the age of 22 and 34 will get the highest-possible points. You will need to show proof of language ability. You will need to sit the International English Language Testing System examination. I know that the examination centre is fully booked for months down the road, so you may want to consider sitting the examination in another country.

Couples tend to score higher points. If you both sit the English examination and have the requisite education and work experience, you should stand a good chance. Also, if you have close relatives in Canada, such as parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, you could have a high score for adaptability.

While it's good to have previous work experience in Saskatchewan, or a valid job offer, under the SINP this is not a precondition for you to submit an application.

The programme is very competitive so if you are interested in applying, you should submit your application immediately. To find out more about this programme or other opportunities to work and live in Canada, contact an immigration lawyer.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public. Submit your questions to