Tue | Jun 15, 2021

How to get Jamaican citizenship for my US-born child?

Published:Monday | September 28, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q I am enquiring about the procedure and price (if any) to apply for dual citizenship for my three-month-old son, who is an American citizen.

A If you were born in Jamaica, or the descendant of a Jamaican, then your son is eligible for citizenship by descent. If the application for Jamaican, citizenship is approved, he retains American citizenship as the USA allows dual nationality.

To satisfactorily establish a claim for Jamaican citizenship for your son, you need to submit a request in writing or complete a request form obtainable at the offices of the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA), or on its website at www.pica.gov.jm, or through the nearest Jamaican mission in an overseas territory. The letter should state the address, name, date and place of birth of your son.

The letter of request or form should be submitted to the offices of the PICA at 25c Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10. Persons residing overseas may submit their requests through the nearest Jamaica mission, who will then forward the application to Kingston for processing.

In addition, the application must be accompanied by the following original supporting documents:

- Your son's birth certificate;

- Government-issued photograph identification (such as a passport) of your son;

- The birth certificate of either parents (mother/father) who was born in Jamaica;

- Government-issued photograph identification of the Jamaican parent submitting the application;

- Two passport-size photographs of your son, of which one should be certified by a justice of the peace or notary public.

Note that applications for citizenship by descent attract a processing fee of J$10,000 (if you are applying locally) or US$100 (if you are applying in the US).

Requests for citizenship by descent, for which the supporting documents are in order, will be processed within 30 working days of receipt at the PICA.

For further information, visit the website of the Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency at www.pica.gov.jm. You may also submit queries to: info@pica.gov.jm.