Tue | Oct 19, 2021

Getting a Jamaican passport for my UK-born child

Published:Monday | October 5, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q My husband and I are Jamaicans living in the UK for more than 10 years. Our seven-year-old daughter was born here in England. We are not British citizens. However, we have Right of Abode and are holders of Jamaican passports. We wish to apply for a Jamaican passport for our daughter. How can we go about this?

A You can apply for your daughter's Jamaican passport only after she has gained her Jamaican citizenship. Her birth to Jamaican parents does not automatically make her a citizen. However, it does entitle her to a claim to Jamaican Citizenship by descent.

According to Sections 3A and 3C of the Jamaica Constitution 1962, persons born overseas whose mother/father or grandmother/grandfather is, or was, a native of Jamaica, is entitled to a claim to Jamaican citizenship by descent.

To establish a claim for your daughter's citizenship by descent, you may submit your request in writing or complete a request form, obtainable through the Jamaican High Commission in the UK or on the agency's website at www.pica.gov.jm.

The request should state your daughter's name and address as well as her date and place of birth. You must also specify her parents' names, dates and places of birth.

The letter of request, or form, should be submitted to the Jamaican High Commission in the UK, which will remit same to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) in St Andrew. In addition to your request, you must provide the following original supporting documents:

(i) Your daughter's birth certificate;

(ii) Birth certificate or certificate of Jamaican citizenship of parents

(iii) Two passport photographs of your daughter, certified by a justice of the peace or notary public.

(iv) The photograph identification of the parent submitting the application.

Photocopies are accepted only if they are certified by a consular officer, notary public or a justice of the peace.

Citizenship requests for which the supporting documents are in order will be processed within 25 working days of the receipt at PICA offices in St Andrew. The cost for this service is £60.00.

At the end of the process, your daughter will be issued with a Letter of Certification to confirm her status as a citizen of Jamaica.


Applying for her passport 


After your daughter has gained her Jamaican citizenship, she is free to apply for her Jamaican passport. To apply for your daughter's passport, either you or your husband must complete the application form on her behalf. Sections C and E must be completed and signed by her parents. You may obtain the form at the Jamaican high commission or online at www.pica.gov.jm.

Please note that the form and only one of two required passport photographs of your daughter must be certified by a justice of the peace or any other person authorised to carry out this function. You may find a listing of such persons on the passport application form. Application forms and photographs are valid up to six months after the date of certification.

You will need to take her along with you when submitting the form to the Jamaican High Commission. Ensure that you present your I.D. as well as your daughter's birth certificate with the passport application form. Laminated or photocopied documents are not acceptable.

The cost for obtaining her passport is £30. The document will be processed within 20 working days after receipt at PICA offices. You may collect her passport at the Jamaican High Commission on presenting the receipt.

For further information, please visit our website at www.pica.gov.jm